Spring is in the air! The temperatures are rising, fresh flowers have bloomed, and not-so-spring chickens are receiving a new physical therapy referral! While fun and frolic are the best types of exercise, we encourage all of our past, present, and future clients to stay focused on their health-related long-term goals!
Whether it be a: “Bum Knee” “Hurt Back” “Frozen Shoulder” “Stiff Neck” or “Bad Day”
Consult your local physical therapist for some fresh new information to address your specific needs.
It’s that time of the year again – SPRING CLEANING! The staff at Atlantic is here to remind you about the importance of postural awareness at home and in your work place. Poor posture is a hindrance to overall health and significant factor in degenerative and chronic disease, with the most noted consequences being pain and discomfort.
- Let your feet rest comfortably on the floor.
- Armrests being too high create extra stress/strain in the neck/shoulder regions.
- Do not sit longer than 20-30 minutes without performing standing stretches or short walks around your home and/or work place.
- Shift your body weight from one leg to the other, or place one foot on a slightly elevated surface, to offset excessive stresses to the lumbopelvic regions.
- Your feet should be slightly wider than hip width apart.
- Maintain a slight knee bend.
- The chin should be lifted with the shoulders rolled backwards.
Your local PT may be able to identify other individual, postural insufficiencies from your sitting, standing, or ergonomics, resulting in low back pain, neck discomfort, headaches, shoulder dysfunction, lower extremity pain, and breathing difficulties.
Did You Know?
- The Boston Marathon will be held on April 15th.
- April is National Poetry Month, as well as National Occupational Therapy Month!
- Earth Day, a worldwide event for environmental protection, is on April 22nd.
- The most common springtime injuries include patellofemoral syndrome (“Runner’s Knee”), Achilles Tendinitis, ankle sprains, rotator cuff strains, & plantar fasciitis.
Atlantic Physical Therapy would like extend a warm welcome to our new PT clinic director, Ryan Fleming, MPT, in Laurel, DE, & Josh Shaffer, PTA at our Ocean View, DE, location.
Congratulations to Charles Curran & Wil Mozingo as they celebrate their Weight Loss Challenge victory!
April Birthdays –
5th – Charles Curran
5th – Bette Hammond
7th – Sarah Geremia
16th – Levi Custis
20th – Lindsay Duryea