With the recent blizzard, many people have found themselves stranded at home. For the safety of our patients and staff, we even closed our clinics, but urged our patients to perform their home exercises. With that in mind, and the increased risk of falling because of the ice and snow, I’d like to share a few easy balance exercises you can safely do in the comfort of your own home.
1. Standing marching – Stand in place and start marching in place slowly for 2 minutes. As this becomes easier, challenge your balance and change up the surface you are marching on: from hardwood to carpet, for example
2. Standing 3-Way Kicks – Standing on 1 leg, move the other leg in front of you keeping your leg as straight as possible, then out to the side, and then behind your body. Perform 20 times on each side.
3. Sidestepping – Walking alongside a countertop or near a wall facing it with hands on surface as needed, step sideways in 1 direction with your toes pointed straight ahead. Move 10 steps in 1 direction, then return in the other direction.
4. Single Leg Stance – stand on 1 leg as long as you are able, up to 30 seconds. Alternate legs, and try to do this 3-5 times on each leg.
5. Sit to Stand – Rise out of a chair without using your arms to push up. Perform 10 times.
Sarah Geremia, DPT
Atlantic Physical Therapy, West Ocean City