Hi everyone, this is Gwyn Benny from the Atlantic Physical Therapy Salisbury, MD location. A lot of patients have so many questions when it comes to Physical Therapy.
“How do I know if I need physical therapy?”
- Most simple musculoskeletal injuries resolve on their own in 10 days.
- RICE- Despite rest, ice, elevation and compression is the condition not fully resolved or is unchanged?
- Have you had this problem before?
- Does your condition seem to resolve and then return? Is it getting more limiting?
- Is pain or stiffness limiting you daily activities or recreation?
- Does your pain change with position or activity?
- Do meds just seem to mask the pain?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you would benefit from physical therapy.
How to choose a physical therapist.
Does the therapist take your insurance?
Is the office convenient for you?
Does your therapist have special skills?
Have you had previous success and a good rapport with a certain physical therapist?
What to expect at your first visit.
Paperwork- bring ID and insurance cards, medial history, functional questionnaire form.
Physical therapist will evaluate the problem-
Questions about your conditions. What are your limitations? Other pain related information.
Assess movements and strength in the area and possibly above and below.
Physical tests will be done to help pin point areas of limitations. Dress comfortably and prepare to have area of concern exposed.
Palpation- which means touching to pinpoint the area of concern and determine tolerance for treatment or reactivity.
Discussion of findings and education regarding home exercises and self-care.
Choosing a physical therapist can impact you success. So choose wisely and choose Atlantic Physical Therapy in Salisbury, MD.