Biodex Concussion Management
FACTS ABOUT CONCUSSIONS:
One in 10 athletes who play contact sports sustain a concussion each year.
In the US alone, more than 300,000 sports-related concussions occur annually; high school and college football make up the highest percentage of those in jeopardy. All athletes, not limited to contact sports, have the potential to experience a concussion at some point during their careers.
Doctors at the Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Sports Medicine Concussion Program, want athletes, coaches, trainers, team physicians and parents to know about new research data on concussion symptoms and the effects and dangers of returning concussed athletes to the playing field before the brain has had time to heal. The results of six separate research studies in major medical journals have revealed the following:
- High school athletes are likely to have slower recovery than college-aged or older athletes and to be more susceptible to severe neurological deficits should they be reinjured during recovery.
- Post concussive symptoms can be quite subtle; coaches and athletic trainers often miss the diagnosis.
- All concussions cause significant and sustained neuropsychological impairments in informationprocessing speed, problem solving, planning and memory...impairments are worse with multiple concussions.
- Amnesia, not loss of consciousness, may be the main indicator of concussion severity and predictor of post-injury, long-term neurological problems. Research shows an athlete can have a severe concussion without losing consciousness.
Atlantic Physical Therapy CAN PROVIDE A BEST PRACTICES CONCUSSION PROGRAM!
Our facility uses the Biodex Concussion Management Program which brings together cognitive and functional objective assessment. This machine is available at the Berlin, Laurel, and Casker St. Philadelphia locations. Using accepted tools and best practices, this comprehensive program provides an off-site single-source solution for your athletes.
- Concussion management education for coaches, players, parents and administrators.
- Objective preseason baseline testing of balance and neuro-cognitive function is used to identify any pre-existing conditions or for post-injury comparison.
- Sideline assessment protocol helps gather information at the time of injury for symptoms, cognition and function. Sideline assessment is the cornerstone for identifying red flags that may require immediate medical attention.
- Return-to-Play decisions are supported by evidence-based protocols.
- HIPPA compliant post-injury Summary Report shows status, progress and outcomes of tests.
- Consistant with NCAA Guidelines
For athletic programs that lack the resources to fully implement a concussion program in-house, we offer cognitive and balance assessment, test result storage with objective documentation and medically-supported protocols.
Atlantic Physical Therapy offers a structured concussion management program utilizing best practices and state-of-the-art equipment to help answer the question, "Can this athlete return to play?".
Preseason Baseline Screening
- Graded Symptom Check List
- Neuro-Cognitive Test
- Clinical Test for Sensory Integration of Balance (mCTSIB) performed on the Biodex BioSway.
- Graded Symptom Check List
- Repeat neuro-cognitive test compared to baseline.
- Repeat mCTSIB compared to baseline
- Review results and recommend best practice action plan.
- Access to Concussion Health for medicallysupported discussion, if necessary.
Atlantic Physical Therapy Locations:
MD, DE, PA
Re-evaluation for Return-to-Play Decision
Comparison of preseason and post-injury objective test results are reviewed in consultation with parents, athlete, physician and coaching staff (with permission), regarding return-to-play decision.